Green Island’s traditional name is Wunyami, meaning “Place of Spirits” and is the sea country of the Guru-Gulu Gungganji and Yidinji Aboriginal people.

Before European settlement, local Aboriginal tribes used Green Island and its reef for fishing, hunting, and manhood initiation ceremonies. Wunyami holds traditional and contemporary significance to Traditional Owners, having lived in this area for thousands of years.

Today, visitors to Green Island are often surprised to learn that the name the island bears is not because of its lush green rainforest – but was in fact named in 1770 after the astronomer onboard the HMS Endeavour, Mr Charles Green.

HMS Endeavour, was a British Royal Navy research vessel commanded by (then Lieutenant) James Cook on his first voyage of discovery to Australia and New Zealand in 1768-71. On Sunday 10 June 1770, Captain James Cook first marked Green Island on navigational charts …. “after hauling round Cape Grafton”, Cook saw a “low green woody Island”. He named this Green Island after the ship’s astronomer, Mr Charles Green.

Green Island’s amazing history includes many pioneering ‘world firsts’, such as the introduction of the first glass bottom boat in 1937 and the first stationary underwater observatory opened in 1954.With the wonders of the reef and an amazing history to share, Green Island is a significant and most special part of the Great Barrier Reef.
An Island of History
Pre 1770
Local aboriginal tribes (Gungandji and Mandingalbay) used Green Island and its reef for fishing, hunting, and manhood initiation ceremonies.
1770
Captain Cook first marked Green Island on the navigational charts and named it after the astronomer onboard, Charles Green.
1857
A bech-de-mer (sea cucumber) smoking station was established on Green Island. It was operated by a fisherman called JSV Mein, and operated for several decades before closing down.
1863
A ship called the 'Antagonist' shipwrecked on Green Island reef while carrying horses to India (14 May 1863).
1889
- Coconuts were planted to provide shelter, food and drink for shipwrecked sailors.
- Grass hut accommodation was constructed for fishing and hunting parties.
1890
The first organised pleasure cruises to Green Island commenced on a local coaster called 'Zeus'.
1906
- Green Island was declared a Recreational Reserve under the Cairns Council.
- The first public jetty was constructed.
1924
Hayles commenced fortnightly passenger service from Cairns to Green Island.
1930
Kitty & Noel Monkman, pioneers in underwater photography and videography, moved to Green Island. During WWII they acted as volunteer air observers.
1931
The replacement jetty was constructed by Cairns Town Council.
1932
Cairns Town Council was granted a license to remove coral from the Green Island reef flat to make lime for mainland cane fields (operated until 1945).
1934
Green Island declared a Fauna Sanctuary
1936
Management control of Green Island changed from Cairns Town Council to the Queensland State.
1937
- Green Island was declared a National Park.
- World's first glass bottom boat launched.
- Research facility built (now Dept. of Primary Industry Research Laboratory).
- Hayles was granted the first 20-yrear lease to develop a hotel with tourism activities.
1939
First groyne was built to protect the foreshore.
1942
The first hotel, Coral Cay Hotel, was constucted by Hayles.
1946
Jetty was reconstructed after being destroyed by cyclone.
1954
World's first underwater observatory opened.
1958
Island camping permits no longer issued.
History - Continued
1960
Present Jetty constructed.
1961
Great Barrier Reef Theatre constructed.
1963
Redeveloped hotel, the Green Island Reef Resort, opens.
1964
Crocodile Farm opens - the first ever on an island. Renamed Marineland Melanesia in 1972.
1970
- Queen Elizabeth II visits Green Island on her 44th birthday - as part of her tour that followed in Captain Cook's footsteps.
- Sandbag retaining wall built near jetty to protect resort land from erosion.
1974
Green Island declared a Marine National Park by the Queensland Government.
1978
Seaplane access to Green Island permitted.
1981
Green Island Reef zoned a Marine National Park 'B' with a Buffer Zone under the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Act (extending 500m out from edge of reef).
1982
Daily fast catamaran service from Cairns commenced by Hayles Pty Ltd.
1988
Dreamworld Corporation purchased Green Island Reef Resort and ferry services from Hayles Pty Ltd. and renamed the company Great Adventures.
1989
Green Island Reef Resort closed due to disrepair.
1991
Daikyo PtyLtd purchased the resort and ferry service on Green Island from Dreamworld Corporation
1992
Redevelopment of Green Island Resort and day facilities commenced.
1993
Redeveloped day facilities opened to the public.
1994
The Green Island Resort luxury accommodation opened.
2001
Green Island Resort desalination plant operational - producing over 55,000 litres of freshwater daily.
2005
Quicksilver Connections acquired Great Adventures and Green Island Resort from Daikyo Pty Ltd.
2006
Inaugural Great Adventures Green Island Ocean Swim.
2012
Unable to be restored and structurally unsound, the pioneering Underwater Observatory was decommissioned & closed to public.
2012
14 November 2012, visitors from around the world converge on Green Island to witness a once in 200 year Total Solar Eclipse in the region.
2017-19
The Resort goes 'Solar' in 2017 with more renewable energy installed in 2019 to supplement power generation.